From Open Sustainability
Wikisourcing Sustainable Enterprises Profile
1. Enterprise Information
Name: British Energy
Size: national, (EDF global)
Headquarters location: UK
Initiative contact person: Dr Chris Anastasi
Senior environmental advisor
Tel: +44 (0)20 7266 8329
Related links to articles about this enterprise's work:
Silver placement in the Business in the Community (BITC) Corporate Responsbility Index
2. Sustainability Initiative that Caught your Attention
Please describe including if possible:
i. What did this initiative set out to accomplish, or what problem was it addressing (if you know)?
A good example of stakeholder engagement with a debate held on World Environment Day. Which involved people from groups such as Greenpeace, the US Embassy and Climate Change Capital
ii. What outcomes/results did it achieve, against what measurable standard or target or goal (if you know)?
Stakeholder engagement is part of the GRI Guidelines. This was reported within the CSR Report (page 8).
iii. Regardless of the results, how was the initiative received inside/outside the organization?
This initiative was well received internally as the debate was available to all staff to attend and was broadcasted to other sites. It was also well received externally as it is well known that Greenpeace is an opponent of nuclear power and for British Energy to engage with them in an open fashion was real regarded.
3. Why? What impresses you about this enterprise's sustainability initiative?
That British Energy was very open and transparent when engaging with their stakeholders. The debate is available online for all to see.
4. At what stage is this enterprise on the Sustainable Innovation Roadmap*?
- Viewing Compliance as Opportunity
- Making Value Chains Sustainable
- Designing Sustainable Products & Services
- Developing New Business Models
- Creating Next Practice Platforms
Please indicate stage by number 1-5.
1. Developing New Business Models
"Why Sustainability Is Now the Key Driver of Innovation"
Harvard Business Review September 2009 pp56-64
5. Summarize this Sustainable Enterprise using 3 Tags
What are 3 key words (or short phrases) to summarize the essentials of your Sustainable Enterprise Profile?
i. Low carbon
ii. High safety standards
iii. Value employees
6. Questions and or Suggestions?
If you had a chance to sit down with this enterprise's senior management what topics would you raise? Please limit to 3.
i. Climate change targets
ii. Long-term waste storage
iii.Capacity for new growth
7. In writing your profile what measures did you use for judging a sustainable enterprise?
The BITC's CR Index
8. What underlying principles guide this enterprise in their sustainability initiatives?
British Energy operates with a culture that recognises their responsibilty to society to maintain safety and quality in their operations. They recognise that the company's activities touch many people and raise a number of issues.
9. About the Profile Contributor
Your relationship to company profiled: previously employed as an Environmental Analyst.
10. Reader Questions and Observations
Please use this space to add observations about items that the questions above omitted and or post questions to the profile authors.
Check out the Energy and Environment section for more information on their polices and practice.s
Thank you for taking time to contribute. Please visit regularly to further input as the Sustainable Enterprise Profiles collection grows.
Your suggestions for making this "Wikisourcing Sustainable Enterprise Profiles" initiative more valuable are also welcomed.